Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Turkey Stock and Dad's Turkey Gravy

This turkey stock is surprisingly flavorful for being mostly boring and having no additional veggies or spices except salt. I primarily made it for the sake of the stuffing and the turkey gravy, but I'm sure you could use it as a base for turkey soup and other things as well.

Now...the gravy. Mmmm. I have always loved the turkey gravy my dad makes. It is just so delicious smothered over anything and everything I could cover it with. This year, I asked him for his recipe, and adapted it just a tiny bit to make it my own. Thanks, Dad!

Basic Turkey Stock

Ingredients:
-giblets from turkey
-any excess skin
-turkey tail and neck
-water
-salt

1. Place all turkey bits in a pot and cover with water (I used about 9-10 cups). Add a dash of salt.
2. Bring to a boil for about 10-15 minutes, then simmer for another 15-20. My numbers may be a little off, as I made this stock while busy with everything else.
3. Remove giblets and turkey pieces from stock. Store stock in tupperware.

*I am sparing your eyes from the giblets picture (it's a pretty good picture, but it's kind of unappetizing!

Dad's Turkey Gravy (adapted)

Ingredients:
-1 1/2 c. turkey grease from roasting pan
-1 1/2 c. flour
-7 c. turkey stock
-additional water/broth as needed
-dash of salt
-dash of pepper
-2 tsp. onion powder
-2 tsp. garlic powder
-1 tsp. cayenne pepper
-1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed

1. Cook grease and flour in roasting pan to create a roux. Make sure the flour is getting mixed in well and cooked so you're not left with flour-y taste in your gravy.
2. Once cooked, add turkey stock and all spices.
3. Adjust water/stock levels as needed.
Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters

Yes! It's just that easy and delicious. :)

Happy [condiment] Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment