Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pecan-Walnut Pie and Pumpkin Pie

I spent so much time obsessing over the turkey and stuffing dishes, that I didn't put all too much thought into the pies. I knew I wasn't going to spend any time making them healthy, that's for sure. But they were pies, and I've made pies before, so I thought they would just be a nice little dessert to accompany a fabulous dinner. Funny enough, the pies (especially the pumpkin pie) were the biggest hit at the table! We ran out very quickly and my friends talked for days about how they wished they had more! Alas! Next time. :)
Ready for the oven! - Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
I made both of these pies at the same time (well, the pecan-walnut first, then the pumpkin), and popped them in the oven together. They both cooked at their allowed times and turned out perfectly. It helped reduce overall Thanksgiving cook-time, and I couldn't be happier!
Forgot to take pictures before they were being eaten! - Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
Pecan-Walnut Pie

Ingredients:
-1 c. Karo Lite Corn Syrup (fewer calories than the original!)
-1 c. sugar
-3 eggs
-2 tbsp. margarine (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter), melted
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-5 oz. pecans
-1 oz. walnuts, roughly chopped
-1 9-inch pie crust (I used a basic pie crust recipe...and by that I mean I took the knowledge I had and made the crust from scratch without a recipe...it actually went very well...but sorry I can't give you a recipe for it!)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pie crust in oven for 10-15 minutes.
2. Combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, margarine and vanilla with a spoon or fork. Mix well. Stir in pecans and walnuts.
Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
 3. Pour filling into pie crust.
4. Bake for 60-70 minutes. Cool on wire rack (or if you're desperate, like me (I had to get everything to my friend's house in a short amount of time), shove it in the fridge).
Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters

Popular Pumpkin Pie (slightly adapted from the famous Libby's recipe)

Ingredients:
-3/4 c. granulated sugar
-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
-1/4 tsp. ground cloves
-2 eggs
-1 can (15 oz.) Libby's Pure Pumpkin
-1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk  (Nestle Carnation is standard but I tried a generic brand and it worked just fine)
-1 9-inch pie crust (see Pecan-Walnut Pie for crust explanation)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pie crust in oven for 10-15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves. Beat in eggs and mix well. Stir in pumpkin and continue to mix. Then, slowly stir in evaporated milk.
3. Pour into pie crust.
4. Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or until knife/toothpick inserted in center is clean. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack (or, like the Pecan-Walnut pie, shove in the fridge wrapped in foil if you're in a time crunch).
Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
I had to put both of my pies in the fridge (and later in the freezer for about half an hour) because they had to be cool enough to transport in a taxi from one end of Manhattan to the other! It didn't hurt the pie consistency or flavor or anything, so I would suggest that if you are low on time, refrigerating/brief freezing is a huge help! Also, if you noticed, I did not start at a high temperature for the Pumpkin Pie and reduce it after a bit of time. I just started at a lower temperature and kept it in there--it clearly turned out just fine if it was the "Popular" food of the evening!
 
Who took a bite?! - Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment