Saturday, September 10, 2011

Miso Soup w/ Noodles, Wakame, and Egg

I love soup.
And smoothies.
And salad.
And burgers...
...and fries...
...and chicken nuggets...
...and corndogs...
I have to stop.

Eating healthy is a big part of how I want to live...but unfortunately, I'm still trying to work out the kinks to cut bad cravings. In London, I discovered that a hot bowl of chicken broth or sodium-free chicken bouillon in water was one of the perfect late night snacks that made me warm and sleepy (and didn't cost me a lot of calories). These days, I want to get back into that, but I have also begun eating soup as an anytime meal just because I like it so much!


Being a college student means a giant punch to the stomach of my budget, pantry, and cooking time. I have been working on a healthy healthy HEALTHY diet so I can lose more weight (excepting this past week because my boyfriend came to visit…plus, I have been so busy with classes and rehearsals that I ordered a lot of food to my apartment and never once visited the gym…! Boo!), and this has become a large staple: Miso soup. I haven’t been able to find any sort of low-sodium miso in my area (or anywhere, really), so having a bunch of salt isn’t my favorite option. But with lots of noodles, dried wakame (a type of Japanese seaweed), and egg (or chicken), it is a nutritious, healthy, light meal you can have any time of the day.

My favorite thing about this recipe is that it is super fast and easy to put together. To make life even easier and you eat lots of chicken like I do (generally for stir-fries), try cutting up the breasts when you get it from the store and putting them in individual Ziploc bags and freezing them. I have the perfect serving size that is pre-sliced, thus eliminating both defrosting too much as well as having too many leftovers (unless you want them—I know that when I have too many leftovers from assorted dinners, I just forget about some because I get excited about making new dishes).
 
Hearty Miso Soup with Noodles, Wakame, and Egg


Recipe should be enough for one large bowl. Split between two if you aren't very hungry or want to eat this as a side dish.

Ingredients:
-2.5 c water
-2 tbsp miso paste
-2 tbsp dried wakame
-inaki udon noodles (buckwheat soba is also good)—however many noodles you would like
-1 egg
Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
1.       Bring water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. As water starts to bubble, add miso paste.
2.       Once soup has come together, add wakame and noodles.
3.       Lastly, drop an egg into the soup (if you want the egg to stay together better, try cracking it into a small bowl or cup and pouring that in).

See how simple that is? Feel free to add any spices you see fit if you want to change it up a bit! Some of my favorites to play with are black pepper, Sriracha hot sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder!
Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
Happy Eating (and now maybe a smoothie...)!

No comments:

Post a Comment