Saturday, July 30, 2011

Quick and Easy Breakfast! - Rosemary Potatoes and Green Onion Scrambled Eggs for Two

I love breakfast. Like, LOVE breakfast. I will eat it any time, day or night, and I will always enjoy myself. The only problem is that making breakfast healthy sucks. I like my poached eggs and whole wheat toast with peanut butter. I like my Greek yogurt with berries and Kashi. But I also like my buttery, sugar-filled sticky buns and my three-cheese omelettes.

This morning, I decided to make a compromise with myself. I had a potato leftover from my faux-Thanksgiving extravaganza earlier this week, and Ethan and I bought our August groceries yesterday, so eggs are aplenty. I really enjoy good potatoes, so I recalled the way my dad always made his potatoes on early Saturday mornings and adapted it a little by adding dried rosemary. Mmm. If I had fresh rosemary, it would have been even more delicious! The scrambled eggs are basic and very simple, with a green onion, spices, and a little bit of extra sharp cheddar. I only allowed myself a teeeeeny bit of cheese today because I'm a cheese addict, which is far from healthy. Anyway, enjoy! I had a lovely time eating. :)

Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters

Quick and Easy Breakfast: Rosemary Potatoes and Green Onion Scrambled Eggs for Two

Ingredients:
-1 large red potato
-3 eggs
-1 green onion
-2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 tbsp. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
-3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
-2 tsp. black pepper
-1 tsp. salt
-1/2 tbsp. dried rosemary
-1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
-extra sharp cheddar to taste

1.       Dice the red potato into small cubes and place in a bowl with cold water. Let sit while you continue with other ingredients.
2.       Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk with a fork until scrambled. Add cayenne, 1 tsp. black pepper.
3.       Heat a saucepan and add the olive oil. When it’s nice and hot, drain the potato in the sink and add the cubes to the pan. Add 1 tsp. black pepper, salt, rosemary and garlic powder and mix well. Stir occasionally, but let the pieces get nice and golden brown for a delicious crunch!

Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
 4.       When potatoes are mostly cooked, heat up another pan and add the butter. Give the eggs one last stir and add to the pan. Slice up the green onion and add to the eggs. Mix. As the eggs come together, add as much or as little cheddar as you like (I kept it minimal to feel more healthy!).

Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters

5.       Give the potatoes one last stir and use a spatula if they’re a little stuck to the pan. They should be nice and golden. Separate the potatoes onto two plates, then add scrambled eggs to both plates. A few fun things to garnish with are ketchup, sweet chili sauce, or sour cream.

Photo Copyright 2011 Katie Peters
Happy Eating!

2 comments:

  1. I think we share an equal passion for food.
    We must cook together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please! I would love that. We'll be a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete